Some days the fight overwhelms all of us. It is exhausting work to pushback against injustice when there seems such an abundance of it.
Here are a few reasons why the fight is worth it. Choose one, or five, or fifty—and remember why you do what you do.
1) Because your children deserve a beautiful life.
2) Because of the Transgender teen who shouldn’t have to wait all day to use the rest room in peace.
3) Because of the child whose “free lunch” will be his only.
4) Because this rapidly warming planet is solely our responsibility.
5) Because special needs children are not burdens.
6) Because sexual assault victims are still terrified to come forward.
7) Because electing a professed predator has made that idea far more terrifying.
8) Because public schools are our bedrock and public school teachers are superheroes.
9) Because my neighbor’s children deserve a beautiful life.
10) Because a white supremacist doesn’t belong in the White House.
11) Because The right thing is still the right thing, even if it is the more difficult thing.
12) Because black lives still matter.
13) Because he ridiculed a disabled person.
14) Because Muslims aren’t responsible for the IS any more than Christians are for the KKK.
15) Because of the third grade girl who believes she could be President—and will.
16) Because right now, refugees are treated as urgent safety threats, but guns are not.
17) Because we still haven’t seen his taxes.
18) Because some people are hanging by thinnest thread—and today you can be that thread.
19) Because lawmakers with guaranteed healthcare shouldn’t be able to take it away from anyone.
20) Because the coral reefs are dying.
21) Because young black men still fear the police.
22) Because people are making money from incarcerating other people.
23) Because the people incarcerated are largely brown-skinned.
24) Because compassion is a dying art—and you still practice it.
25) Because women’s bodies should be their jurisdiction.
26) Because our Government is currently pepper spraying mothers, so it can run oil lines through the graves of their ancestors.
27) Because the oceans are rising.
28) Because refugees are always fleeing a more violent, less safe life than those who are receiving them.
29) Because millions of people died so that every American could vote and speak and love freely—and going backwards is not an option.
30) Because no one chooses their gender identity or sexual orientation. No one.
31) Because children of color deserve a beautiful life.
32) Because the separation between Church and State is critical—and eroding.
33) Because he said he could grab women by the pussy—and some people are more offended by the fact I printed it, than by the fact that he said it.
34) Because honey bees are dying.
35) Because a gay middle schooler feels alone, and he needs you to remind him that he isn’t.
36) Because Muslim-American children deserve a beautiful life.
37) Because he tweets more often and less coherently than a ninth grader—and it’s dangerous.
38) Because every adult should be entitled to marry the adult they love.
39) Because 65 million people voted for her.
40) Because Native American burial lands and Jewish cemeteries and Islamic Mosques are as sacred a Baptist churches.
41) Because Russia was involved.
42) Because we are a nation created as haven from tyranny, not a sanctuary for it.
43) Because LGBTQ children deserve a beautiful life.
44) Because religious freedom should not be solely for Christians.
45) Because people should be equally free from religion too.
46) Because America is already f*ckin’ great.
47) Because a stranger’s children deserve a beautiful life.
48) Because the world is in trouble.
49) Because you are the kind of person a troubled world needs.
50) Because love always has the last word—and you will help speak it.
There are certainly many more reasons that could be added to this list. What are yours? What matters enough to move you? Hold those things tightly today in your heart and let them give hope and strength and resolve.
I know you’re tired. Those who aren’t, probably aren’t paying attention or don’t care to be burdened.
It’s good to rest, but it’s not an option to retire. There is simply too much work to do and too few people who give a damn. You give a damn—and that makes you perfect for such a time as this.
Keep going. Keep fighting. Keep loving. Keep resisting.